David and Jessica created this incredible comfort food soup this weekend at the lake. We’re sharing the recipe for Smoky Potato Bacon Soup here with you! Yum!
1/2 lb bacon or half of a package (OMIT FOR VEGETARIAN)
2 onions diced
5 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp fresh thyme chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
1 tsp smoked paprika (DOUBLE FOR VEGETARIAN)
1/2 tsp salt (DOUBLE FOR VEGETARIAN)
1/2 tsp pepper
6 cups chicken broth (I use Better Than Bouillon and find it excellent in terms of price, flavour
and quality) (USE VEGETABLE BROTH FOR VEGETARIAN)
3 lbs potatoes diced
1 cup fresh parsley chopped (or 1/2 cup dried parsley)
1/2 cup coffee cream (or milk, evaporated milk or plain yogurt)
- Chop bacon into small pieces and fry in a large pot over medium-high heat until crispy.*
- Drain off all but about 2 tbsp of bacon grease. Turn heat to low, add diced onions and cook, stirring often, until they are soft and golden.
- Add minced garlic, thyme, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and cook briefly.
- Pour a small amount of chicken broth (Better Than Bouillon mixed with hot water) into the pot and use a wooden spoon to scrape all the brown, flavourful bits off the bottom of the pot, mixing them into the bacon/onion mixture.
- Add remaining broth and peeled, cubed potatoes.
- Cover, increase heat, bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, 12-15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to desired creamy consistency. (If you don’t have an immersion blender you can use a blender or food processor, following
manufacturer’s instructions for hot liquids, or even a potato masher).
- Add cream and parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
* To make this soup vegetarian, omit the bacon. Start by sauteing onions and garlic in 2tbsp of either olive oil or butter. Double the amount of salt and smoked paprika, and usevegetable broth instead of chicken. All other instructions stay the same.
Recipe from Delicious on a Dime.