Your backyard is the place of family fun and lots of memories. This is especially true if you have a swimming pool and/or a hot tub. What if we told you that you could take it up a notch and add a movie night?
Host the perfect poolside movie night with your family and friends. It’s not as hard as it seems, and this is one backyard memory no one will forget!
In this article and video, David and Jessica share their family’s movie night with you, and we look at how to have the perfect poolside movie night.
David and Jessica’s Movie Night
Before we “dive” into the details, check out this video and peak into their own movie night!
What You Need
- Laptop or DVD player and a table or to sit it on
- Projector screen or large wall that functions as a backdrop
- Your favorite movie
- Pool Floats or other comfortable seating
- Some great snacks – think about your favorite movie food!
How to Set It Up
To watch the movie, you can always set up a projector screen if you have one. If not, you just need a flat surface like a large wall to watch your movie on.
Another option is to hang a white sheet. This provides you a blank canvas to project your movie. If you’re using a sheet, make sure to iron out the wrinkles. You also want to hook it to a wall so it doesn’t blow in the wind.
Next, set up your projector. If you don’t have one, they’re usually pretty easy to rent. Do put your projector in a safe place away from the water!
Set up some external speakers to your laptop because its speakers won’t be loud enough. Grab some portable outdoor speakers for great sound.
Grab some pool floats for people who want to watch from the pool and chairs for those who want to set outside the pool.
Finally, set up a movie refreshment stand complete with popcorn! This gives your backyard theater a drive-in fee.
Select the Movie
This is one of the most important parts of your poolside movie night. Consider your audience when choosing a movie. It should ideally be age appropriate for your movie watchers.
If you have multiple ages attending, do be sure to cater to the younger crowd so they don’t get scared by an adult movie.
Focus on Seating
You can set up several view areas.
- Set up chairs and other furniture for people who don’t want to sit in the pool.
- Grab your pool floats, pool saddles, and inflatables for people who do want to sit in the pool.
- Take the cover off your hot tub so movie goers can also soak and relax while watching.
- Set your food and drink area up away from the water. You can also set out some picnic blankets for people to sit on by the pool or in your grass.
Final Thought on Your Poolside Movie Night
There’s nothing quite like being outside with your friends and family. It’s always a great day or evening when you can spend it together in the pool or the hot tub.
By shaking things up a bit and having a backyard movie night, you’re upping the ante on the fun. It’s a great night everyone will remember.
Consider scheduling these fun movie nights once a month for something to look forward to!