Load hearty slices of 12 Grain Specialty Bread with sweet onions, tangy barbecue chicken and tasty cheddar cheese. Then wrap it in foil and grilled for a delicious, open-faced sandwiches.
- 4 slices of Nature’s Own 12-Grain Bread
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 (1-ounce) slices reduced-fat deli-style Cheddar cheese
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking at 350°F/177°C.
- Cook chicken 10-12 minutes per side, then toss in bowl with barbecue sauce until evenly coated.
- Heat oil in Big Green Egg Stir-Fry and Paella Pan.
- Add onion, brown sugar and thyme; cook 10 minutes or until onion is tender and lightly browned, stirring often. Remove from heat; stir in salt. Set aside.
- Divide chicken and onion evenly over bread slices; top each with 1 cheese slice. Wrap each open- faced sandwich in heavy-duty foil forming a loose packet; seal all edges.
- Add to cooking grid for 8 minutes or until heated through. Carefully open foil packets and drizzle with additional barbecue sauce, if desired.
- Makes 4 servings.