Are you new to grilling, or would you like to learn more about the Big Green Egg? In this article, we look at direct grilling on the Big Green Egg.
What is Direct Grilling?
- When you grill direct, you place the food over the fire and cook by direct exposure to the flame and the heat.
- This is the best way to cook steaks, chops, burgers, boneless chicken breasts, kabobs, fish fillets, many vegetables and other quick-cooking foods.
- Most often, the best candidates for direct grilling are foods that are tender, less than two inches thick and boneless.
- Generally, foods that are tender, less than two inches thick and boneless are good candidates for direct grilling.
- Direct grilling sears the exterior surface of the meat to form a delicious crust with the juices locked inside.
- Because of the ingenious design of the EGG and the fact that grilling is always done with the lid closed, flare-ups and hot spots are virtually eliminated.
- When cooking some foods, you can begin by searing over high temperatures. Then, you can reduce the heat by adjusting the dampers to finish cooking.
What Are The Benefits?
With direct grilling, you can sear the outside surface of the meat to form a delicious crust. This helps you lock the juices inside for great tasting food.
The Big Green Egg is a master at direct grilling because of its unique design. You always direct grill on the EGG with the lid closed. This makes flare-ups and hot spots virtually non-existent.