Barbecue pork sandwich with hand crafted onion strings – you can’t beat it!
- 7 lb (3 kg) center cut pork loin
- Big Green Egg Dizzy Gourmet Down and Dizzy Seasoning
- Hamburger Buns
- Big Green Egg Barbecue Sauce
- 2 Spanish onions, sliced into thin rings
- 2 cups (480 ml) buttermilk
- 2 cups (480 ml) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) kosher salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp (3 ml) cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil for cooking the onions
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking (with the convEGGtor) at 250°F/121°C.
- Season pork loin on all sides and let rest 30 minutes while the EGG temperature stabilizes. Place the pork loin in a V-Rack and place on the cooking rid; cook until the internal temperature reaches 160°F/71°C, then remove to a pan and refrigerate. Once the pork loin is cool, slice the pork thin, almost like deli ham or turkey thickness.
- Thinly slice the Spanish onions an soak them in buttermilk for at least one hour.
- Set the EGG for direct cooking (without the convEGGtor) at 400°F/204°C.
- Remove onions from buttermilk bath and shake off excess buttermilk. Prepare seasoned flour by mixing all purpose flour, kosher salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Toss the slices and soaked onions in the season flour, covering thoroughly.
- Add a Dutch oven to the cooking grid and add about 1⁄2 inch of oil to preheat. Add the seasoned onions and cook until golden brown; set aside.
- Carefully drain the oil from the Dutch oven, return to the grid and sauté slices of the pork loin in the barbecue sauce until hot, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Toast the hamburger buns, add sliced pork loin, top with fried onion strings…and enjoy!