It’s cold, and there’s a lot of snow on the ground. You might be wondering about how your grill will fare? In this article, we answer the question, “Will my Big Green Egg crack in the cold?”
So, What is the Answer?
Well… you might have guessed our answer. It is, “No, it won’t!” While no one wants to hurt their EGG by using it in the winter, we can assure you that you can cook, grill, smoke, and bake in your EGG all year long.
It doesn’t matter how cold it gets (except for you, maybe!). You have nothing to fear with your Big Green Egg. At Townley, many of us cook on our EGGs through the coldest and stormiest of days.
Not only will your EGG not crack, but you can cook low n’ slow, and you can set your EGG as hot as you’d like without having to worry that it will crack.
Do You Have Cold Weather Grilling Tips?
While it is OK to cook as normal on the EGG, we do suggest heating your charcoal up slowing. It might take your EGG a bit longer than usual to stabilize its temperature when it’s freezing outside. But, once it is warmed up, you are good to go.
Here are a few more tips for using your EGG in the winter:
- Use your grill cover and keep it covered when not in use. This keeps ice and snow from building up on your EGG>
- Put your grill in a sheltered area. This is good for the EGG and for you!
- Allow about 10-15 minutes extra for your EGG to warm up. This is dependent on the outdoor temps, of course.
- Use firestarters in the winter to allow your EGG to get to temperature gradually.
- Store your EGGcessories (think baking stones, convEGGtor, etc) indoors in the winter so they don’t crack.
- When using the convEGGtor and pizza stones, heat them in your oven to about 200 degrees. then use heat proof gloves to put them in your preheated EGG once it hits 200 degrees.
- Cook as normal after your EGG is heated.
- Let it cool completely before you close the vents and your cover.
There you have it. Just one more reason to use (and buy if you don’t have one) your Big Green Egg. It’s our favorite grill to use all season long! Be sure and check out our specials page for our EGG specials!