Did you know that using phosphate testing to keep your phosphate levels low helps reduce pool problems?
Did you also know it’s important to consistently test for phosphates and maintain levels below 125ppb? In this article, we look at the importance of phosphate testing and removal.
What are Phosphates?
Phosphates are chemical compounds containing phosphorus. It’s a naturally occurring element. In addition to phosphorus, phosphates contain oxygen, often hydrogen, and sometimes other chemicals.
What Problems Do They Cause?
When you have phosphates in your pool and spa water, you can have multiple water quality issues including algae and cloudy water. If you think you have a problem with phosphates, you want to have your water tested. This is always a good idea to do on a regular basis!
Phosphates enter your water through things such as:
- body oils
- suntan lotion
- soaps and detergents
- fertilizer and landscaping services
- fill water
- body fluids and waste
- plant debris
- some pool chemicals
Natural Chemistry has created the perfect phosphate removal products for whatever level your pool encounters.
How Do You Remove Them?
To treat them, you must first determine the level of phosphates in your water. It is important that you treat any algae prior to testing and removal of phosphates. Ensure that you begin any phosphate removal with a clean filter.
Here are our phosphate testing tips:
- Make sure you don’t have any algae in the water. If you have living algae in the pool, you won’t get an accurate reading.
- Ensure your chlorine level is below 5ppm. If your chlorine level is high, it could bleach out your test results, which are then inaccurate.
- Utilize high range testing. In some cases phosphate levels are so high, you need to conduct a dilution test. Ask us for more info.
Phospate Do’s and Don’ts
Here are some suggestions for managing your phosphate levels:
- Do use our phosphate removal products with any sanitizer system.
- Don’t add more than the recommended amount of phosphate remover at one time.
- Do use our phosphate products with any filter media: sand, DE, and cartridge.
- Don’t add phosphate removers to a dirty filter.
- Do swim immediately after applying Phosfree®Max™ because it doesn’t cloud pool water when added to the skimmer.
- Do use a metal chelating product that does not breakdown to orthophosphates in your water. Ask us for products!
- Don’t add phosphate remover to a pool with live algae or a pool that isn’t clean and balanced.
- Use only the best products you can find: Natural Chemistry from Townley Pool and Spa. Not all technology is created the same.
- Don’t use products loaded with phosphonic acid unless absolutely necessary.
With consistent phosphate testing, you ensure great pool water all season long!
We’ve got two products that we love for pool care:
PHOSfree Max is a powerful and reliable phosphate remover designed for both residential and commercial pool use.
It removes high levels of problem-causing phosphates from swimming pool water.
Keeping phosphate levels low helps reduce pool problems, including calcium phosphate scale as well as time and effort spent to maintain perfect water. Pour it in and watch it work!
- High intensity phosphate removal
- Simplified dosing instructions
- Pour it in and watch it work!
- Test phosphate levels often, the ideal range to keep them in is less than 125ppb
PHOSfree Max reduces phosphate levels to near zero in just 24 hour
Take pool maintenance to the next level!
Pool Perfect Max is Natural Chemistry’s premier maintenance formulation. Added weekly, this product reduces the amount of time and effort you have to spend on pool care.
Its key benefits include:
- Working as a continuous filter cleaner
- Removing maintenance levels of problem-causing phosphates
- Reducing scrubbing of scum lines and waterline ring -polishing water to sparkle like never before
Simply add one capful per 10,000 gallons of pool water each week so you can sit back and relax poolside!
- Highly concentrated-one cap per 10,000 gallons per week
- Continuously cleans the pool’s filter and tile line
- Helps to keep problem-causing phosphates low
- Uses advanced clarification to polish pool water
Need help? Contact us today! We are here for you.