Irish Beef Stew with mixed vegetables and lots of flavor is great for St. Patrick’s Day or any time at all!
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tbsp favorite seasoning
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp black pepper
- 20 ounces Irish stout
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 turnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Set EGG for direct cooking at 350°F/177°C.
- Sprinkle seasoning evenly over beef. Place Dutch Oven on the cooking grid and add 2 tbsp oil; heat until almost smoking. Cook beef about 10 minutes until browned on all sides. Remove beef from Dutch oven.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp oil to Dutch oven; add onions and celery and cook about 10 minutes or until softened and onions are translucent. Add flour, garlic, tomato paste, thyme, salt and pepper; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add Irish stout and return beef to the mix. Stir in broth. Cover and cook 45 minutes. Stir in carrots, turnips and potatoes; cover and cook about 1 hour or until beef and vegetables are tender. Stir in parsley.
- Serve with warm bread.